1950 Aston Martin DB1

£85,000

Drive Right hand drive

Chassis no AMC/49/9

This car offered for sale by:

Aston Workshop
Restoration Project
This historically important and rare car is available for sale. Built in 1950, it is the last but one DB1 to be built. Presently in our workshop in a dismantled state. The purchaser will be acquiring one of the most rare prettiest of Aston Martin models. It will be sold as a completed and restored car. Would be purchasers should enquire direct with Mr Bob Fountain.

DB1 History

In production: September 1948 -May 1950
Chassis number: -AMC/49/9

One of only 13 roadsters produced, the car represents the first confident steps by Aston Martin after the end of the 2nd World War to get back into car production. A total of 14 chassis were built.

Gordon Sutherland and Claude Hill (Aston Martin Managing Director and Chief Engineer respectively) finished building a completely new chassis and body early in 1939. Claude Hill had also been designing a new 2-litre engine. The chassis consisted of rectangular tubes, stiffened by square section bracing tubes, and the frame for the body panels was also formed by tubes, the whole providing a very stiff structure on which to suspend the wheels. Front suspension was independent for the first time on an Aston Martin, consisting of short trailing links and coil springs, but semi-elliptic leaf springs were retained for the rear axle. The layout of the divided track rod provided that the steering geometry is unaffected by cornering and bumps in the road. The wheelbase was 8' 6". Fitted initially with a standard pre-war 2-litre engine and a Cotal automatic gearbox {another sign of things to come), the car, which became known as the "Atom" saloon, {G40/900) was used during the war from 1942 by Gordon Sutherland.

Two or three of Claude Hill's new four cylinder 2-litrc engines were completed by 1944, and one was fitted to the "Atom", although it was not announced until towards the end of 1946. The bore of 82 mm and stroke of 92 mm gave a capacity of 1,970 c.c., the compression ratio being a modest 7.25: and power output was given as 90 b.h.p. at 4, 750 r.p,m. The valves were operated by push rods, the unusual head having the inlet valves centred above the pistons and the exhaust valves at an angle in recesses leading to the manifold. Two SU carburettors were fitted.

After the war, Claude Hill started to design a new car, but more capital was needed before a new model could be put into production. Aston Martin Ltd. was bought by David {later Sir David) Brown in February 1947, Sutherland and Hill remaining as directors. At about the same time the Lagonda company also joined the David Brown organisation. With financial support thus secured, design work proceeded, assisted by "Jock" St. John Horsfall. After extensive testing, including road work using an almost bare chassis {probably AMC/48/1), it was decided to give the chassis and engine the ultimate test by entering the 1948 Spa 24 hour Race. With little time available, a special body was built to complete the first post-war Aston Martin {LMA/48/1, the only Team DBI). Its brilliant outright win boded well for the new production car, which was announced at the London Motor Show later that year. It was described simply as a "Two Litre Sports", but became known as the DB1 when the DB2 was introduced. The rebuilt Spa car was also shown .on the stand shared by Aston Martin and Lagonda, but there was insufficient interest in the "Spa Replica" {at the price!) to warrant a production run.
1950 Aston Martin DB1
         
Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy | AstonFinder © 2009 - 2018 | Need a website as good as ours?